Translate

Alef Aeronautics Model A Review: Price, Design, Durability, Features, Range and Everything I Know About the Flying Car

If someone had told me a few years ago that I would be writing a review of a car that can drive on the road and take off vertically, I probably would have thought it was science fiction. Yet that is exactly what makes the Alef Aeronautics Model A so fascinating to me.

Alef Aeronautics is developing the Model A as a roadable electric vertical-takeoff-and-landing vehicle, or eVTOL. Unlike many flying-car concepts that require a runway, a dedicated landing pad, or a large fold-out wing, the Model A is designed around the idea that I could drive it like a vehicle, park it like a vehicle, and then use vertical takeoff to get above traffic.

Alef currently lists an expected price of $299,999, while its preorder system requires either a $150 general-queue deposit or a $1,500 priority-queue deposit. Importantly, the company says a preorder does not constitute a completed vehicle purchase, guarantee a production slot, lock in the final price, or guarantee a delivery date.

So, is the Alef Model A really the future of transportation, or is it still an ambitious experiment? After looking closely at its design, specifications, safety systems, production progress and regulatory situation, here is my detailed review.


What Is the Alef Aeronautics Model A?


The first thing I need to clarify is that the phrase "Alef flying car" can be slightly confusing.

The Model A is Alef's planned consumer flying car, while the company has also developed prototype and ultralight vehicles to demonstrate the technology. In 2023, Alef received an FAA Special Airworthiness Certificate for its flying-car prototype, which was an important regulatory milestone. However, that should not be interpreted as meaning that every production Model A has already received full aircraft type certification.

The basic concept is remarkably simple to understand.

I would drive the vehicle on the ground, and when traffic becomes a problem, the vehicle is designed to take off vertically. Once airborne, the body rotates into a flight configuration, allowing the vehicle's structure to function as a wing.

Alef describes the vehicle as 100% electric, road-drivable and capable of vertical takeoff and landing.

That combination is what separates the Model A from ordinary electric cars and from conventional aircraft.


Alef Model A Price

For me, the biggest question is immediately the price.

Alef currently lists an expected Model A price of $299,999. That is roughly $300,000 before considering whatever taxes, fees, insurance, transportation, registration and other costs could eventually apply.

The preorder itself is much cheaper than the vehicle.

Alef lists:

  • $150 for the general preorder queue
  • $1,500 for the priority preorder queue
  • $299,999 expected vehicle price

The deposit should not be confused with the purchase price. Alef's preorder agreement specifically states that the preorder does not lock in a final vehicle price or guarantee a delivery date. The deposit is refundable until the final purchase agreement is signed.

At $300,000, I would not consider the Model A an affordable car in the conventional sense. It is closer to a luxury vehicle combined with an aircraft.

That price also makes sense when I consider how complicated the engineering is. Alef isn't simply building an electric car with wings. It has to combine road transportation, electric propulsion, flight controls, aviation safety and regulatory requirements into one machine.


Design: The Most Interesting Part of the Model A


The design is probably my favorite aspect of the Alef Model A.

Instead of using conventional folding wings, the vehicle is designed so that the body itself becomes part of the aircraft's aerodynamic configuration.

When the vehicle is driving, it resembles an unusually futuristic automobile. When it transitions into flight, the entire vehicle changes orientation.

The passenger cabin is designed to remain upright while the rest of the vehicle rotates. This is achieved through a gimbaled cabin, allowing the occupants to remain in a conventional sitting position even as the flying structure changes orientation.

I think this is an extremely clever solution because one of the biggest challenges with a flying car isn't simply getting airborne. It is keeping the passengers comfortable and properly oriented while the vehicle transitions between driving and flying.

Another distinctive feature is the propulsion system.

Alef's design uses distributed electric propulsion, with multiple propellers integrated into the vehicle rather than exposed like the rotors on a conventional helicopter or drone. The company says the design has no exposed propellers.

That gives the Model A its unusual appearance while also potentially providing safety and packaging advantages.


How Does the Model A Fly?

The Model A is designed for vertical takeoff, meaning it doesn't need a traditional runway.

The concept is that I could theoretically reach an appropriate takeoff area, initiate vertical flight, rise above the ground and then transition into forward flight.

The vehicle uses multiple electric propulsion units. Rather than relying on a single engine or rotor, distributed propulsion gives the system several independent propulsion elements.

Once airborne, the vehicle changes its orientation to generate forward aerodynamic lift.

This is an important distinction from a conventional helicopter. The Model A is essentially combining characteristics of a road vehicle, multicopter and fixed-wing aircraft.

According to Alef's published figures, the vehicle is intended to have approximately:

200 miles of driving range

and

110 miles of flight range.

I would treat those numbers as manufacturer targets rather than independently verified everyday operating figures. That distinction matters enormously with a vehicle that is still progressing through development and certification.


Driving Range and Road Performance


The claimed 200-mile driving range sounds reasonable for an electric vehicle, but the Model A isn't being designed primarily to compete with a Tesla, Lucid or other long-range EV.

Its real purpose is multimodal transportation.

I could theoretically drive through normal streets, avoid a congested section by flying, and then return to the road.

However, road performance is one area where I would have realistic expectations.

Alef's regulatory strategy has involved a specially constructed vehicle approach, and industry sources have reported that the road version is intended to operate at relatively low speeds. Some earlier descriptions referenced a low-speed-vehicle pathway with a 25-mph limitation.

That means I wouldn't look at the Model A as a replacement for a high-performance sports car.

Its advantage isn't acceleration.

Its advantage is potentially escaping traffic in three dimensions.


Flight Range

The advertised 110-mile flight range is one of the Model A's most important specifications.

For a flying vehicle designed primarily for short urban or regional trips, 110 miles could potentially cover a meaningful distance.

But I would be cautious about interpreting that as 110 miles of unrestricted real-world travel.

Aircraft range depends on many factors, including payload, weather, wind, altitude, battery condition, reserve requirements, operating procedures and other variables.

The publicly available specifications also don't provide all the numbers I would normally want to see when evaluating an aircraft, such as a detailed production battery capacity, maximum payload, cruise speed and other complete performance figures. Independent technical databases similarly note that several of these specifications remain unpublished.

That is one of the biggest limitations of trying to review the Model A today.


Durability: Can I Trust It?


This is where I become much more cautious.

If I were considering spending $300,000 on the Model A, durability would be one of my biggest concerns.

Alef says it is using aviation-grade components and has entered manufacturing agreements involving companies experienced in producing aviation components. In 2024, Alef announced an agreement involving PUCARA Aero and MYC, which have experience manufacturing parts for Boeing and Airbus.

That is encouraging.

The company also announced in December 2025 that manufacturing of the first Model A Ultralight vehicles had begun. These early vehicles were described as hand-assembled in California and intended for a limited number of early customers for controlled real-world testing.

Still, I would not call the Model A's long-term durability proven.

There is a huge difference between building and successfully flying a prototype and demonstrating that hundreds or thousands of vehicles can safely operate for years.

A flying vehicle experiences stresses that ordinary cars do not. The propulsion system, structure, flight-control computers, motors, batteries and cabin all have to withstand repeated flight cycles.

For that reason, I would currently describe durability as promising but unproven.


Safety Features

Safety is probably the most important part of this entire project.

Alef has stated that the Model A will incorporate multiple redundancies, extensive software-based flight stabilization, obstacle detection and avoidance, glide-landing capability and a full-vehicle ballistic parachute.

The lack of exposed propellers is another interesting safety feature.

I like the idea of enclosed propulsion because exposed rotating blades are obviously a major hazard around people and objects.

The vehicle's software is also extremely important. A flying car can't depend entirely on the driver to manage everything manually. Flight stabilization, propulsion management and diagnostics need to work continuously.

Alef says its approach is driven by redundancy and software intended to make the vehicle safe and practical.

However, I would still emphasize that planned safety features are not the same thing as a proven safety record.

That is something potential buyers need to understand.


Has the Alef Model A Actually Flown?

This is an area where headlines can sometimes create confusion.

Alef has released footage of its flying-car technology, and its prototype development has included vertical-flight testing. By 2026, reports said the company had completed more than 1,000 flights involving its development vehicles and had demonstrated vertical flight, including footage showing the vehicle hopping over a Tesla Cybertruck.

However, I would distinguish those demonstrations from proving that a fully production-ready Model A can routinely operate like an everyday automobile and aircraft.

That distinction is crucial.

The technology has moved beyond a purely theoretical concept, but that doesn't mean the final customer vehicle has already demonstrated every capability under every condition.


Production Status


This is where the Model A becomes much more interesting to me.

Alef announced in December 2025 that it had begun manufacturing its first flying cars. The company said the initial vehicles would be hand-assembled in California and delivered to a small number of early customers for controlled real-world testing.

That is considerably different from saying the Model A is already being mass-produced like a conventional automobile.

I see the current phase as a bridge between prototype development and broader commercial production.

Alef has also worked toward larger-scale manufacturing, including its 2024 agreement for aviation-grade components.


My Overall Verdict

After researching the Alef Aeronautics Model A, I think the vehicle is one of the most interesting flying-car projects I have seen—but I would not yet treat it like a normal production car.

Its biggest strengths are obvious to me:

  • Vertical takeoff and landing
  • Fully electric propulsion
  • Road-driving capability
  • Approximately 200-mile claimed driving range
  • Approximately 110-mile claimed flight range
  • Gimbaled passenger cabin
  • Distributed electric propulsion
  • No exposed propellers
  • Obstacle detection and avoidance
  • Multiple propulsion and system redundancies
  • Glide-landing capability
  • Full-vehicle ballistic parachute
  • FAA Special Airworthiness milestone for the prototype
  • Manufacturing of early vehicles already underway

At the same time, I see equally important limitations:

  • The expected price is approximately $299,999.
  • The final production specifications can still change.
  • Several important technical specifications have not been publicly disclosed.
  • Long-term durability has not yet been proven at large scale.
  • The production Model A's certification and regulatory pathway remains important.
  • A preorder is not a guarantee of delivery.
  • The published range figures should be regarded as manufacturer targets rather than guaranteed real-world performance.


Is the Alef Model A Worth $300,000?

Personally, I wouldn't answer that with a simple yes or no.

If I were looking for a normal luxury vehicle, absolutely not. There are far more established automobiles available for a fraction of the price.

But if I wanted to own one of the earliest commercially produced roadable flying vehicles, the equation would be completely different.

For me, the Alef Model A is less about buying a car and more about buying into a new category of transportation.

The biggest question isn't whether the concept is fascinating—it clearly is.

The real question is whether Alef can transform a working flying prototype into a safe, durable, certifiable, maintainable and economically viable production vehicle.

That is the test I would be watching most closely.

Right now, I see the Alef Model A as an extraordinary engineering project that is moving closer to reality, but still one that deserves careful scrutiny before I would consider it a practical everyday transportation solution.

At roughly $300,000, I wouldn't buy it simply because it flies. I would want to see proven reliability, a mature certification pathway, real-world range testing, demonstrated crash and flight safety, predictable maintenance costs and a track record of successful customer operation.

If Alef can deliver those things, however, the Model A could become much more than a novelty.

It could represent the moment when the idea of the flying car finally moves from science fiction into everyday transportation.

And that is exactly why I will be watching the Alef Aeronautics Model A very closely.

Cheerio!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gold in 10-Peso Philippine Coin

Hanamichi Sakuragi: In Real Life

The Most Expensive Philippine Coin Ever Sold

My Honest Take on the Under Armour UA Halo Runner SE: Comfort, Design & Colors

Anta PG7 Travel 2.5 Review — A Budget Daily Trainer That Surprised Me