Translate

Geely EX5 EV Review: A Closer Look at Geely’s Electric Comeback

As an automotive critic who has watched the electric-vehicle market in the Philippines evolve from a niche curiosity into a serious alternative to traditional gasoline-powered cars, I find the Geely EX5 particularly interesting. It is not simply another Chinese electric crossover trying to compete on price. The EX5 represents Geely’s attempt to establish itself as a serious player in the modern EV market, combining a large battery, respectable driving range, extensive technology, premium-looking equipment, and a relatively competitive price.

For the Philippine market, the Geely EX5 EV is priced at approximately ₱1.799 million, according to the latest 2026 Philippine review and specification information. It is important not to confuse this model with the newer Geely EX5 EM-i, which is a plug-in hybrid rather than a fully electric vehicle and starts at a substantially lower ₱1.288 million. My focus here is specifically the fully electric EX5 EV.


First Impressions and Exterior Design


When I first look at the EX5, what strikes me is how different it feels from some of the more aggressively styled electric vehicles currently entering the market. Geely has gone for a smoother, cleaner and more sophisticated appearance rather than covering the vehicle with excessive lines and futuristic decorations.

The front end immediately tells me that this is an EV. There is no conventional large radiator grille because the electric powertrain doesn't require one in the same way a combustion engine does. Instead, the front is dominated by slim LED daytime running lights, carefully sculpted bodywork and aerodynamic surfaces.

The design is relatively understated, but I don't consider that a weakness. The EX5 has a certain maturity about it. The flush door handles, aerodynamic body, panoramic glass roof and 19-inch wheels give the vehicle a premium character without making it look overly complicated.

At the rear, the full-width lighting treatment gives the EX5 a modern appearance. The higher ride height and black exterior cladding also remind me that this is intended to be a practical crossover rather than a low-slung sports car.

One of the more interesting details is the door-handle design. The handles electrically pop out when needed, but they are mechanically spring-loaded, meaning they can still operate even if the vehicle loses electrical power. That's the kind of practical engineering detail I appreciate because it combines modern design with redundancy.


Interior: Where the EX5 Really Makes an Impression

Inside, the EX5 feels considerably more expensive than I would expect from its price bracket.

The centerpiece is the 15.4-inch infotainment display, complemented by a 10-inch digital instrument cluster and a large head-up display. The dashboard has a clean, minimalist appearance, although I know some drivers will prefer traditional physical controls.

Personally, I appreciate the modern layout, but I also think Geely could improve the user experience by giving drivers more physical controls for frequently used functions.

The seats are another highlight. They are wrapped in vegan leather and feature an elaborate design that gives the cabin a premium appearance. Depending on configuration and function, the seats offer features such as heating, ventilation and massage. These are features I normally associate with considerably more expensive vehicles.

Storage is also well thought out. There are useful compartments around the center console, and passengers get multiple charging options, including USB-A, USB-C and a 12-volt outlet. A wireless charging pad is also provided.

For rear passengers, the EX5 remains practical. The crossover proportions provide good cabin space, making it suitable not just for a driver commuting alone but also for families.


Technology and Infotainment


Technology is one of the EX5's strongest selling points.

The vehicle uses Geely's Flyme Auto operating system, which is part of the broader Geely ecosystem. The system is designed to integrate automotive hardware and software more closely than traditional infotainment systems.

One important point I would mention to prospective buyers is smartphone connectivity. An early software version tested by TopGear Philippines did not initially have wireless Android Auto and Apple CarPlay, although a subsequent Flyme Auto software update added wireless support. This is a good reminder that the EX5 is essentially a software-defined vehicle, and software updates can significantly change the ownership experience over time.

The EX5 can also be equipped with a sophisticated audio system. The 16-speaker Flyme system includes speakers integrated into the front headrests, creating a surprisingly immersive environment.

The head-up display is another feature I particularly like. Instead of constantly looking down at the instrument cluster, the driver can see important information such as speed, navigation guidance and driver-assistance information within the driver's field of vision.


Performance: 215 Horsepower and 320 Nm

Underneath the stylish body is a permanent-magnet synchronous electric motor producing approximately 215 horsepower and 320 Nm of torque.

As someone who regularly drives electric vehicles, I always enjoy the immediate response of an electric motor. There is no waiting for a conventional automatic transmission to select the correct gear and no need for the engine to build up power.

The EX5 is front-wheel drive and uses a single-speed reduction gearbox.

The power figure is more than sufficient for everyday Philippine driving. I don't see the EX5 as a performance SUV, but it doesn't need to be. Its strength is effortless acceleration rather than outright sports-car handling.

The biggest criticism I have is the suspension tuning. The suspension is relatively soft, which is actually helpful on imperfect Metro Manila roads. However, when pushed through corners, the EX5 can exhibit noticeable understeer. In my view, Geely has prioritized comfort over sporty handling, and I think that is a reasonable choice for the vehicle's intended audience.


Battery, Range and Charging


This is perhaps the most important section for anyone considering an EV.

The Philippine-market EX5 uses a 60.2-kWh lithium-iron-phosphate (LFP) battery. Geely quotes an estimated 430-kilometer WLTP range.

A 430-km rated range doesn't mean I would expect to drive exactly 430 kilometers under every circumstance. Real-world range depends on speed, air-conditioning use, traffic, temperature, road conditions, passenger load and driving style.

Interestingly, testing in Philippine conditions showed the EX5 capable of approximately 11–13 kWh per 100 km when driven in Eco mode with maximum regenerative braking. That is a very respectable efficiency figure.

For me, this is one of the EX5's biggest advantages. A relatively efficient 60.2-kWh battery means I don't necessarily need to carry an enormous battery pack to achieve useful range.

The EX5 supports DC fast charging, with testing showing an average of around 100 kW. According to TopGear Philippines, charging from 20 percent to full using a suitable DC charger can take less than half an hour under favorable conditions. Using the supplied Level 2 portable AC charger, a 20-to-100-percent charge can take around 5.3 hours under optimal conditions.

For home charging, I would consider installing a proper wall-mounted AC charger if possible. Overnight charging is where an EV becomes particularly convenient. Instead of visiting a gasoline station every few days, I can simply plug the vehicle in at home and start the next morning with a charged battery.


Economy: Where EV Ownership Makes Sense

Fuel economy is one of the most compelling reasons to consider the EX5.

Instead of measuring consumption in kilometers per liter, I look at electric consumption in kWh per 100 km. The reported 11–13 kWh/100 km efficiency is encouraging.

The actual peso savings depend on electricity rates and how much I drive. But compared with a conventional gasoline crossover, an EV can potentially offer considerably lower energy costs, particularly for drivers who mostly charge at home.

There are also fewer mechanical components compared with an internal-combustion vehicle. There is no conventional engine oil, spark plugs, exhaust system or multi-speed transmission to maintain.

That doesn't mean EV ownership is maintenance-free. Tires, brakes, suspension components, air-conditioning systems, battery cooling systems and electronics still require attention.

The LFP battery chemistry is also noteworthy. LFP batteries are widely used in modern EVs because of their durability and thermal characteristics. Geely specifically recommends regular 100-percent charging to help accurately calibrate the vehicle's range estimation system.


Safety and Driver Assistance


The EX5 is equipped with a comprehensive collection of driver-assistance technologies, including systems associated with adaptive cruise control, lane assistance, collision warnings and other ADAS functions.

The vehicle has also received a five-star Euro NCAP safety rating, which is an important piece of information for me when evaluating an EV intended for family use. The EX5 also comes with six airbags.

However, I always remind drivers that ADAS is assistance technology, not autonomous driving. These systems can reduce driver workload, but I would never treat them as substitutes for attention and proper driving.

Some driver warnings can also become irritating, particularly in environments with complicated traffic and constantly changing road conditions. Fortunately, several settings can be adjusted.


Practicality and Everyday Driving

The EX5 feels most convincing when I imagine using it as a daily family vehicle.

The cabin is quiet because there is no conventional engine producing vibration and noise. The electric motor provides smooth acceleration, while the soft suspension absorbs many of the rough surfaces that are common on Philippine roads.

There are also some interesting comfort functions. A relaxation mode can recline the front seats and create a more restful environment, while a camping mode can maintain climate control while the vehicle is stationary until the battery reaches a specified level.

These aren't features everyone needs, but they demonstrate how Geely is thinking beyond simply replacing a gasoline engine with an electric motor.


Price and Overall Value


At approximately ₱1.799 million, the EX5 EV is positioned in an interesting part of the Philippine market.

For that amount, I'm getting a 60.2-kWh LFP battery, approximately 430 km of WLTP-rated range, 215 hp, 320 Nm, advanced driver-assistance systems, a large infotainment screen, a digital instrument display, head-up display, premium-style seating, a panoramic roof and an extensive list of comfort and technology features.

That equipment list is arguably the EX5's strongest argument.

Of course, price is only one part of the ownership equation. I would also investigate the availability of charging stations around my regular routes, the dealership and after-sales network in my area, insurance costs, warranty coverage, battery warranty terms and the availability and pricing of replacement parts.

This is especially important because an EV isn't simply a technology purchase; it is a long-term ownership commitment.


My Final Take as an EV Critic


After examining the Geely EX5 from the perspective of design, performance, efficiency, technology, comfort and practicality, I see it as a serious attempt by Geely to establish itself in the modern Philippine EV market.

I particularly like its combination of 60.2-kWh LFP battery capacity, 430-km WLTP range, 215 horsepower, efficient electric powertrain and technology-heavy interior. Its styling is sophisticated without being excessively futuristic, and the cabin offers equipment that makes the vehicle feel more premium than its price might initially suggest.

The biggest compromises for me are the relatively soft suspension, which can produce understeer when driven aggressively, and the reliance on the touchscreen for many functions. The software experience is also something I would monitor because different firmware versions can add or change important connectivity features.

But I don't think the EX5 needs to be a sports car. Its purpose is different.

I see it as a comfortable, quiet and technologically advanced family crossover designed primarily for everyday transportation. Its real strength is the combination of usable range, efficiency, comfort and equipment.

If I were evaluating the EX5 strictly as an EV critic, I would describe its personality this way: it is less about making a dramatic statement and more about making electric driving easy to live with.

And that, in my opinion, is exactly what an electric family vehicle needs to accomplish. The Geely EX5 doesn't have to convince everyone that electric cars are the future. It simply has to demonstrate that an EV can already function as a practical everyday vehicle in the Philippines—and based on its specifications and real-world testing, it makes a credible case for doing exactly that.

Cheerio!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Most Expensive Philippine Coin Ever Sold

Hanamichi Sakuragi: In Real Life

Gold in 10-Peso Philippine Coin

My Honest Take on the Under Armour UA Halo Runner SE: Comfort, Design & Colors

Anta PG7 Travel 2.5 Review — A Budget Daily Trainer That Surprised Me