Translate

Honda CUV e: Review: Price, Range, Reliability, Economy, Features and Why This Electric Motorcycle Is So Appealing

The Honda CUV e: is one of the most interesting electric motorcycles I have ridden about, talked about, and researched in recent years. It is not trying to be a high-performance electric motorcycle, and that is actually one of the reasons I find it so appealing. Instead, Honda has designed the CUV e: around something much more practical: everyday urban transportation.

After looking closely at its specifications, equipment, running costs, practicality, reliability prospects, and real-world riding characteristics, I see the Honda CUV e: as a motorcycle that makes the most sense for commuters who spend most of their time in the city.

It is quiet, automatic, technologically advanced, relatively compact, and considerably simpler to operate than a conventional gasoline-powered scooter. At the same time, its limited range, charging requirements, price, and battery-related considerations mean it is not automatically the perfect replacement for every gasoline motorcycle.

So, is the Honda CUV e: worth buying? Here is my complete review.


Honda CUV e: Price in the Philippines


The first question most Filipino riders will ask is simple: How much is the Honda CUV e:?

When Honda Philippines officially introduced the CUV e: at the Makina Moto Expo 2025, the company announced a suggested retail price of ₱273,000. Honda said the motorcycle would be made available through its dealer network.

I would strongly recommend checking with an authorized Honda dealer before making a purchase because motorcycle pricing can change, and Honda itself notes that actual dealer prices may vary from the suggested retail price.

I have also seen online Philippine listings showing substantially lower prices, including around ₱152,000. However, because that figure conflicts significantly with Honda Philippines' official launch announcement, I would not use the lower figure as the definitive current Philippine price without confirming it directly with a Honda dealer.

For me, this price question is extremely important because the CUV e:'s biggest advantage is not necessarily its purchase price. Its real financial appeal comes from its potentially low day-to-day operating costs.


Honda CUV e: Electric Motor and Performance

The CUV e: uses Honda's E-Drive side-mounted brushless electric motor. Honda Philippines lists 5.5 kW of rear-wheel power, up to 6 kW of maximum power, and 22 Nm of torque. Its maximum speed is approximately 83 km/h.

Those numbers immediately tell me what kind of motorcycle this is.

It is a city scooter.

I would not buy the CUV e: expecting the acceleration or highway performance of a 150cc or 160cc gasoline scooter. That isn't its purpose. Instead, the electric motor provides the instant response that makes electric scooters particularly enjoyable in stop-and-go traffic.

When I think about typical city riding, this makes a lot of sense. There are countless situations where I don't need 100 km/h or more. What I need is quick response from a traffic light, smooth acceleration, easy maneuverability, and enough power to keep pace with urban traffic.

The CUV e: is designed around exactly that kind of riding.

Honda's Philippine specification also gives the CUV e: an estimated range of 77.3 km in Standard mode, with ECON mode capable of extending the range by approximately 25 percent according to Honda's launch information.

International specifications list a WMTC Class 1 range of approximately 72 km, demonstrating that actual range depends on the testing method and market specification.


Battery and Charging


One of the most interesting parts of the Honda CUV e: is its battery system.

The motorcycle uses two removable Honda Mobile Power Pack e: lithium-ion batteries. Each battery weighs approximately 10.2 kg, and Honda lists the capacity at 26.1 Ah and 1,314 Wh per pack.

This removable design is particularly important for riders who live in houses, apartments, condominiums, or workplaces where installing a dedicated motorcycle charger may be inconvenient.

Honda states that a full 0-to-100 percent charge takes approximately six hours, while charging from 25 to 75 percent takes about 160 minutes under the specified charging system.

Personally, I think six hours sounds long until I remember how most commuters actually use their motorcycles.

If I ride to work in the morning, park the motorcycle, and charge it during the day or overnight, charging time becomes much less of an issue.

The bigger question is whether I have a convenient place to charge it.

That is something every potential CUV e: buyer needs to consider before purchasing.


Honda CUV e: Range and Real-World Economy

Range anxiety is probably the biggest concern I would have with any electric motorcycle.

Honda's official figures give the CUV e: roughly 72 to 77 km of rated range depending on specification and test method.

But I would never assume that the official number represents what I will achieve every day.

Riding style, rider weight, passenger weight, traffic, hills, temperature, tire pressure, speed, and riding mode can all affect electric range.

Independent testing from Motorcycle News is particularly interesting. During a test involving enthusiastic riding in Sport mode, the CUV e: covered approximately 25 miles while showing 28 percent battery remaining and an indicated 13 miles of remaining range. The reviewer also noted that riding more gently in Standard or Econ mode should extend the range.

That tells me something important: the CUV e: can be economical, but the rider still has control over how efficiently it operates.

Honda lists energy consumption at approximately 63 Wh/km in its international specifications.

That is where the CUV e: becomes particularly interesting financially.

Instead of buying gasoline every few days, I am buying electricity. Depending on my electricity rate and charging habits, the energy cost per kilometer can be dramatically lower than fueling a gasoline scooter.

There is also no engine oil to replace and no conventional gasoline engine requiring oil changes, spark plugs, fuel filters, and other engine-related maintenance.

For a high-mileage commuter, those savings can add up.


Reliability: Can I Trust the Honda CUV e:?


This is where I would be slightly more cautious.

Honda has an excellent reputation for producing durable motorcycles, but the CUV e: is still a relatively new type of Honda motorcycle. I would not claim that we already have decades of long-term CUV e: reliability data.

However, the basic engineering approach is encouraging.

Honda says its Mobile Power Pack technology is part of a broader electrification strategy, and the company has been developing electric motorcycles and battery systems globally.

Independent testing also reported that Honda's battery packs are rated for more than 2,500 charging cycles.

That does not mean the battery will magically remain like-new after 2,500 charges. Battery capacity naturally changes with age and usage. But it does provide some reassurance that Honda is not treating the battery as a disposable component.

For me, the bigger reliability question isn't the electric motor itself.

It is the battery.

Electric motors have fewer moving parts than internal combustion engines. There is no piston, crankshaft, valve train, clutch, conventional transmission, exhaust system, or fuel injection system to maintain.

That mechanical simplicity is one of the CUV e:'s strongest arguments.

The long-term question will be battery degradation, battery replacement cost, software, electronics, and availability of replacement components.

Fortunately, Honda Philippines has an established dealer network and states that genuine Honda parts and accessories are available through authorized dealers nationwide.

Honda Philippines also states that its standard motorcycle warranty coverage is two years or 20,000 km, whichever comes first, although buyers should confirm the specific warranty terms applicable to the CUV e:.


Riding Experience

This is probably where I find electric motorcycles most convincing.

The CUV e: is quiet.

There is no engine vibration, no exhaust noise, no shifting gears, and no clutch operation.

I simply twist the throttle and go.

That makes the motorcycle particularly relaxing in heavy traffic.

Independent testing from Motorcycle News described the CUV e: as smooth and quiet and found it particularly well suited to urban commuting. The review also noted that the scooter could handle gradients and maintain useful urban speeds.

The CUV e: weighs around 119 kg in international specification, with a seat height of approximately 760 mm.

Those figures make it relatively approachable for everyday riders.

I also like the fact that Honda included reverse assistance. Anyone who has struggled to move a scooter backward in a tight parking space knows how useful this can be.


Features and Technology


The CUV e: doesn't look like a stripped-down electric scooter.

Depending on the version, Honda offers a 5-inch TFT display or a larger 7-inch connected display, three riding modes, Honda Smart Key, USB Type-C charging, LED lighting, and navigation/connectivity functions on the connected model.

The three riding modes—Standard, Econ, and Sport—are particularly useful.

I would probably use Standard mode most of the time.

Econ makes sense when range is my priority, while Sport is there when I want sharper response.

The connected version is especially interesting for technology-focused riders because Honda offers RoadSync Duo connectivity and navigation functionality.


Braking and Safety

The braking setup is practical rather than exotic.

The CUV e: uses a 190 mm front hydraulic disc brake and a 130 mm rear drum brake in international specifications. It also uses Honda's Combined Braking System.

One thing potential buyers should understand is that the CUV e: does not have ABS in the specifications I found.

That is not necessarily unusual for a smaller urban scooter, but I would personally prefer ABS if it were available, particularly for wet Philippine roads.

The motorcycle does have LED lighting, a Smart Key system, immobilizer functionality, and other convenience-oriented safety features.


Storage: One of Its Weak Points

This is an area where the CUV e: loses some practicality compared with gasoline scooters.

Because the batteries occupy space under the seat, storage capacity is limited.

Motorcycle News specifically noted that storage is restricted to a small front compartment and other external carrying solutions, although Honda offers accessories such as 35- and 45-liter top boxes.

For me, this is a significant consideration.

If I regularly carry a helmet, rain gear, tools, groceries, or other equipment, I would probably want the accessory top box.

A conventional gasoline scooter may offer more under-seat storage.


Honda CUV e: Pros

After looking at the motorcycle as a complete package, these are the things I like most:

Very low running costs. Electricity is generally cheaper than gasoline for the equivalent distance, and the motorcycle eliminates many conventional engine-maintenance requirements.

Quiet and smooth operation. The electric powertrain makes city riding exceptionally easy.

Removable batteries. This is a major advantage for riders without convenient fixed charging infrastructure.

Honda brand and dealer network. For buyers worried about parts and servicing, Honda's established Philippine network provides reassurance.

Modern technology. Smart Key, USB-C, riding modes, LED lighting, TFT instrumentation, and connected functions give it a premium feel.

Easy urban performance. With up to 6 kW and 22 Nm, it is well suited to city commuting.


Honda CUV e: Cons

There are also several reasons why I wouldn't recommend it to everyone.

Limited range. Around 72–77 km under rated conditions is useful for commuting but can be restrictive for longer trips.

Charging time. Six hours for a full charge means I need to plan my usage.

Limited storage. The battery arrangement sacrifices some of the practicality normally associated with scooters.

No ABS. This is one feature I would like to see on a future version.

High purchase price at the official Philippine launch price. At ₱273,000, the initial investment is significant compared with many gasoline-powered scooters.


Is the Honda CUV e: Economical?


Yes—but I would separate running economy from purchase economy.

Running the CUV e: can be extremely economical because electricity replaces gasoline, while the electric powertrain requires fewer routine mechanical services.

But if I pay a premium to buy the motorcycle, I have to calculate how many years and kilometers I need to ride before the fuel and maintenance savings compensate for the initial investment.

That is why I think the CUV e: makes the most sense for riders who use their motorcycles frequently.

If I ride only a few kilometers per week, the financial argument is weaker.

If I commute every day and can charge at home or work, the equation becomes much more attractive.


Who Should Buy the Honda CUV e:?

I would recommend the CUV e: to:

  • Daily city commuters
  • Office workers with reliable charging access
  • Riders who want to reduce gasoline expenses
  • Environmentally conscious riders
  • People who want a quiet and smooth scooter
  • Riders who prefer automatic transmission
  • Technology enthusiasts
  • Riders who mostly travel within the motorcycle's practical range


I would be more hesitant to recommend it to:

  • Long-distance touring riders
  • Riders without reliable charging access
  • People who frequently travel far outside the city
  • Riders who need lots of under-seat storage
  • Buyers primarily looking for the lowest possible purchase price

My Final Verdict

After examining the Honda CUV e: from the perspective of performance, economy, reliability, technology, practicality, and ownership, I think Honda has created a very convincing urban electric motorcycle.

What impresses me most is that Honda hasn't tried to make the CUV e: something it isn't.

It isn't a superbike.

It isn't a long-distance touring machine.

It isn't designed to replace every motorcycle on the road.

It is a practical electric commuter.

And as an urban commuter, it makes a lot of sense.

The instant electric torque, automatic operation, quiet ride, removable batteries, low energy consumption, modern electronics, and Honda's established service network give it a strong foundation.

The biggest obstacles are the purchase price, limited range, charging time, reduced storage, and uncertainty surrounding long-term battery replacement costs.

For me, the biggest question is not whether the CUV e: is a good motorcycle.

It is.

The real question is whether it fits my lifestyle.

If my daily ride is predictable, my commute is relatively short, and I have somewhere convenient to charge the batteries, I can see the CUV e: being an excellent everyday motorcycle. If I regularly ride long distances or don't have reliable access to charging, I would still choose a conventional gasoline scooter.

The Honda CUV e: represents something I believe we are going to see much more of in the motorcycle industry: transportation becoming quieter, simpler, and increasingly electric.

And while I don't think electric motorcycles have completely replaced gasoline motorcycles yet, the CUV e: makes a strong argument that for many urban riders, they don't necessarily need to.


My rating: 8/10

For city commuting, I would give the Honda CUV e: high marks for smoothness, technology, efficiency, practicality, and ease of use. Its biggest deductions come from range, charging time, storage limitations, lack of ABS, and the relatively high official Philippine launch price.

For the right rider, however, the Honda CUV e: could be one of the most sensible electric motorcycles currently available.

Cheerio!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hanamichi Sakuragi: In Real Life

The Most Expensive Philippine Coin Ever Sold

My Honest Take on the Under Armour UA Halo Runner SE: Comfort, Design & Colors

Anta PG7 Travel 2.5 Review — A Budget Daily Trainer That Surprised Me

Voge SR150C Review: Price, Performance, Fuel Efficiency, Durability, and Everything You Need to Know